"...the ornithologists still had serious doubts. Sutton finally put it directly: 'Mr. Spencer, you're sure the bird you're telling us about isn't the big pileated woodpecker?'

"Spencer exploded. 'Man alive! These birds I'm tellin' you all about is kints!' he shouted in their faces. 'Why, the pileated woodpecker's just a little bird about as big as that.' He held his fingers a few inches apart. 'A kint's as big as that!' he said, holding his arms wide... 'Why, man, I've known kints all my life. My pappy showed 'em to me when I was just a kid. I see 'em every fall when I go deer huntin' down aroun' my place on the Tinsaw. They're big birds, I tell you, big and black and white; and they fly through the woods like pintail ducks!'

"After Spencer's outburst, the members of the team were all believers -- not just because of his vehemence, but because his description was so accurate. Ivory-bills do not have the typical bounding flight of the pileated woodpecker. They generally fly away high and straight, with stiff flight feathers, looking very much like a pintail, and their call is a distinctive nasal kent, kent, kent -- very similar to the local name Spencer used, kint. Sutton and the others couldn't wait to get to the bayou and start searching.

"As it turned out, that was not an easy proposition..." --Gallagher, Tim. The Grail Bird: Hot on the Trail of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, pp. 10-11: "Of People and Peckerwoods."

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Season of the IBWO

On 23 September, the first day of autumn, a cool front passed through South Mississippi, just a few days after our foray into Black Creek Wilderness.  Temperatures dropped into the low to mid-60's (Fahrenheit) at night, while daytime highs were in the 80's:  cool and pleasant, by Southern standards.  The past couple of days have seen the temperatures inching higher; but the word has been given.

Barring unforseen events, acts of God, etc., I will return to Black Creek Wilderness this Tuesday, 30 September, for a close survey of the western edge, around Beaverdam Creek.  Hopefully it will not be too hot.  I have already packed my rain poncho.

Early autumn is not the prime season of year for a search for ivorybills, but I am still largely in the scouting stage.  Other, much more seasoned searchers will be returning to the Southern swamp forests later, I imagine, when ivorybills are more vocal; and long after leaf-fall, when visibility is better.  Among them -- and I do not know who all will be in the field this season -- I look forward to reports from the Project Coyote team the most, who have been working methodically in Louisiana for years now.  I have learned much from their example, particularly with regard to feeding sign, which has been invaluable to me in my own nascent methods.  I hope the coming season is successful beyond their expectations.

My own efforts in the coming months may be a bit more sparse, as balancing work and family during the holiday season impact my time afield.  (For the record, the time and expense I take to conduct my search for the Ivorybill -- including, I should add, that of my companions Brian Carlisle and Richard Ezell -- are solely our responsibility, being an independent search group.  My job requires me to work 48-50 hours per week, and both Richard and Brian work in the offshore oil industry for two weeks at a time.)  During October and November -- if Black Creek Wilderness does not compel me to return -- I plan to begin forays farther down the Pascagoula River Swamp:  specifically, in the wide area between Sandy Wash Bend and Bull Bay Bend, as well as farther down, in Black Swamp.  I have been able to ascertain a walkable route directly into the heart of the Swamp -- walkable, that is, until the winter rains begin to make their impact, and the sloughs and basins fill with dark water.  I am still saving for a kayak, and hope to be able to purchase one come December, when travel in the swamp forest will be all but impossible in many areas without one.

Recently, thanks to Project Coyote, I read Cornell's "Final Report" from their 2006-2007 Ivory-billed Woodpecker Surveys and Equipment Loan Program.  (I have added the link to the list on the right of this page.)  Among the wealth of information within its pages, there is this -- their description of the Pascagoula River Swamp, and its potential as IBWO habitat:

In the southern portion of the Pascagoula WMA, in the fork between Big Black Creek and the Pascagoula River, a roughly 2,400 ha tract of old bottomland hardwood forest is located that is locally known as Big Swamp.  The last cut in the tract was a light and selective cut in the late 1950's.  Today numerous big oaks and sweetgums dominate the forest.  The Pascagoula was at the periphery of the pathway of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and was moderately damaged by the hurricane.  Large trees were toppled or snapped in a patchy pattern.  Areas of tall blackberry briars occur frequently in the area, making explorations on foot during daytime somewhat difficult and return hikes after dark arduous.  Fourteen km north of the Big Swamp, between Bull Bay Bend and Sandy Wash Bend, hardwood forests are less mature, but still include many sizable trees; pines are frequent in higher areas with sandy soils.  Many pines were killed or damaged by the hurricane and are extensively being scaled by Pileated and Hairy woodpeckers.  The area between Bull Bay Bend and the Big Swamp is probably also good habitat, but has not yet been explored except for a scouting float on Black Creek.  Ward Bayou WMA in the south of the Pascagoula basin is mostly younger and lower forest.  The central Pascagoula basin is excellent habitat and ranks second only to Congaree National Park as an area of high quality hardwood habitat for IBWOs.  [p.26.] (Emphasis mine.)

I have been studying my maps of this area for some time, informed by the day trips I took this past summer to Red Swamp with Richard Ezell, and to Goff Basin with Brian Carlisle.  The Cornell article has helped me make up my mind to put in some time there this fall.

It is raining outside as I type this, and actually looks a bit wintry.  The summer birds are already leaving.  The kingbirds are gone, and the ruby-throated hummingbirds are staying only a few days before moving on.  Brian emailed me a photo he took out on his oil rig on the Gulf of Mexico:

  Prothonotary warbler.  (Photo:  Brian Carlisle)

The woods may be quieter when I walk them again.  They will definitely be much quieter over the next six months or so; but maybe there will be other things I will hear, that I have not heard before.




   

2 comments:

  1. Chris, I've enjoyed our recent communications via PM and Facebook. It helps me refine my thinking. I plan to post something about our most recent exchanges soon. Good luck out there. I'm eager to get back in the field myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Mark, and thanks. As I said, I'm really looking forward to reading reports of field work by you and Frank and the others over the next few months!

    ReplyDelete